John Edwards announced his 2008 candidacy for the presidency today in New Orleans. There's full video on C-SPAN. He'll be doing a live blog at 10 a.m. Mountain here and a town hall meeting at 4 p.m. Mountain here.
Edwards' slogan is "Tomorrow begins today." His point is that we can't wait until January 2009 to start working on the essential changes we need to make as a country, including:
- Providing moral leadership in the world -- starting with Iraq, where we should begin drawing down troops, not escalating the war;
- Strengthening our middle class and ending the shame of poverty;
- Guaranteeing health care for every single American;
- Leading the fight against global warming;
- Getting America and the world to break our addiction to oil.
Update noonish: Edwards' blog crashed for the live blog this morning, but he wound up holding forth at Daily Kos.
Update 6:20 p.m.: I have a diary about Edwards' announcement day posted at Daily Kos.